Crispy Tofu Nuggets
School is coming to a close for the summer and this brings on a whole new level of keeping a young person’s hunger pangs under control. I’d like to share a recipe today that my 3 teenage boys devoured right off the baking sheet. May I add that I had doubled the recipe!
1 16 oz block extra-firm tofu, drained and cut into 1 1/2 inch x 3 inches sticks
1/4 cup almond meal or ground flax seed
1/4 cup whole-grain bread crumbs
1/4 cup cornmeal
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
2. In a shallow dish, combine the almond meal (or flax seed), breadcrumbs, cornmeal, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, chili powder, smoked paprika, and sea salt.
3. One at a time, dredge the tofu nuggets in the bread crumb mixture.
4. Place the breaded tofu nuggets in an even layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
5. Bake for 30 minutes.
6. Serve with your favorite plant-based dipping sauce.
*Can also bake in an air fryer at 425 degrees F for 25 minutes.
Recipe by Evelisse Capó, PharmD